2022-2023 Call for AAC Fellows Applications!
Due Date: Monday, June 6, 2022
The Asian American Center at UNC Chapel Hill invites applications for the 2022-2023 Fellows Program from artists, academics, community organizers, or others engaged in a project about Asian American studies/community, including comparative work. This year, we are particularly interested in applications that intersect with gender and sexuality studies and/or labor organizing/history, or applications on Asian American political science and civic engagement. We are always interested in applications from people in the UNC system and North Carolina, or those working on projects about Asian Americans in the U.S. South.
We are looking for cutting-edge researchers/artists/leaders who are eager to engage in thoughtful dialogue with our campus community and with each other. The Fellowship offers the opportunity for the public showcase of each Fellow’s work and serves as an incubator for new work on Asian America through workshops and conversation among the Fellows.
We anticipate this year’s Fellowships comprising two parts:
- a 1-2 day in-person visit to offer a public event in addition to more informal, small-group engagements with the community, such as meals with students/faculty or meetings with people doing related work
- virtual workshops of work in progress and conversations about community/field concerns with the other Fellows.
The schedule for workshops will be agreed upon among the Fellows but we anticipate scheduling the in-person visits primarily in Fall 2022. The honorarium for each Fellow will be approximately $3000 (inclusive of travel) but may be adjusted depending on the precise visit and engagements, as we recognize that different types of work may call for different engagements and travel restrictions may come into play.
Applicants may be (for example) academics/artists at any stage of graduate study or professional career, independent artists/scholars, or leaders/employees of organizations engaged in work with Asian American communities. Small teams (2-3 people) may apply to share a single Fellowship and should submit one application.
Please apply at this link and attach requested materials by Monday, June 6, 2022.
You will be asked to provide:
- Up to 4-page project description (double spaced) (Describe your current project and its significance for Asian American studies, culture, and/or communities. Highlight any relevant connections to UNC or NC communities)
- (optional but recommended) additional sample of work or links to online portfolios/websites
- contact information for two references
Questions may be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org