Available to UNC faculty, students and staff looking for co-sponsorship or seed funding for a project that aligns with the AAC’s mission, vision, and goals of cultivating a critical understanding of Asian American peoples, cultures, and histories.
AAC Respond & Reconnect Mini-Grants (Fall 2023)
The Asian American Center is making a pool of funds available for events or projects responding to the tragic violence on UNC’s campus on Monday, August 28. Any UNC-affiliated staff, faculty, students, or units/organizations may apply. Community organizations may also apply.
Events/projects should contain content/discussion/activity in direct response to the tragedy and must align with the Asian American Center’s general mission of education and community engagement about Asian American arts, academics, and communities. Expenses must be for university-approved items (details and restrictions in FAQ).
Please apply using THIS FORM and give a description of the organizers/organization, program content, expected audience/impact, and budget, as well as contact details.
Review of proposals will be rolling until the end of October, funds permitting. We expect that the typical application will be for one-time funds in the neighborhood of $250 but will consider smaller requests as well as larger requests for funding or longer-term collaboration. Our website will be updated with FAQs as questions come in. We do not know what volume to anticipate but will try to send an initial response to all applications within 5-7 business days. Please bear with us as we “build this plane while flying.”
- What kind of expenses are allowed?
- Examples: speaker/translator/screening fees, reasonable food/drink (no alcohol) or other hospitality for events, necessary space rental, books and educational materials
- What kinds of expenses are not allowed?
- University funds cannot be used for personal expenses such as medical care, tuition, individual living expenses, etc. For this particular regranting program, we expect that conferences/travel or technological equipment will not typically be applied for but are willing to consider them if there is a justifiable need.
- How long will these funds be available?
- We don’t know what to expect in terms of applications, but will keep this open as long as possible, and will announce if we have to close applications early. If we are able to renew the call, we will announce it at the end of October.
- What kinds of events/programming are allowed?
- Events should have planned content that is in direct response to the tragedy and aligns with the AAC mission as specified above and on our website. Events cannot be purely social in nature.
Thanks to Red Hat Asian Network and Red Hat for their generous support of this program.
As part of the newly formed Alliance, the AAC was able to participate in offering collaborative grants for intercultural projects. Please see the Alliance webpage for calls and details.